Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Why Structure and Protocol

One of the things I learned on the right side of the slash is the importance of structure and protocol in a power exchange relationship. Without structure and protocol, a servant is left without boundaries. Many times, a servant without boundaries acts out in an effort to find those boundaries. This acting out can be very damaging to the servant, the served and the relationship as a whole.

To eliminate this problem, I have spent considerable time developing, adjusting, and enforcing my protocols and expectations. I have made them easily available to any and all who wish to read them and ensure that any who wish to serve me are aware of my expectations before we engage in any type of power exchange.

I have not put this time and effort into my structure to be unbending in how I interact with servants. Rather I have done so in order to give both the servant and myself a comfort zone in which to interact. You see, without standards, how can I determine whether or not a servant is effective? How can the servant know if he is serving well? With the structure and protocols in place, we can both be comfortable and safe as we engage in our power exchange.

I wrote a workbook several years ago on how to develop your own protocols. If you're interested, it can be found here: Creating Personal Protocol

If you'd like to view my current protocols and expectations, please click here: Protocols, Expectations and Negotiations

No comments:

Post a Comment